India has made significant progress towards digitalisation through its various digital initiatives in recent years. The Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM), created under the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) and launched in September 2021, is one such initiative. Under this initiative, the government intends to provide all citizens with a digital Health ID (Identification card) comprising their health records.
In this article, we will discuss a few important features of the digital health ID card that everyone should be aware of.
- Maintains Complete Health Record: This health card will function as a digital document detailing all of your health records, such as your medical history, diseases you were/are infected with, hospitals you visited, doctors who treated your ailment, medications prescribed, medical tests, prescriptions for past and present medications, blood reports, diagnostic reports, and so on. These records will only be updated on the digital card if you agree, and they will help you keep all your health-related information in one place.
This knowledge will be highly useful because it is efficient and simple to retrieve, even if the patient moves to a new location and does a checkup with a new physician.
- Unique 14-Digit Number: One of the key components of PM-DHM is a unique 14-digit health reference number for each individual, which will also serve as their healthcare record. The public Healthcare ID will act as a central repository for all of a user’s health-related information. The healthcare ID, if approved by citizens, will allow for the exchange of continuous health information. This number can be applied to various healthcare facilities.
- Linked to Adhar Card: A Health ID is created using a person’s basic information, mobile phone number, or Aadhaar number. Personal health information can be linked and viewed using a software device, a Medical Providers Record (HPR), and Health Service Directories (HFR).
- No Extra Cost: Under the NDHM, health ID is provided free of charge and voluntarily. According to the government, health research methodology will help improve strategy, financing, and execution for governments and health programmes, resulting in significant cost savings.
- Free and Voluntary: Applying for an ABHA health card is voluntary and free. Any Indian citizen can apply for and create a health card on their own by using an online portal or by visiting a hospital. Because it is a public welfare scheme, there is no cost to create or receive the card after it is created.
- Registration Process: The registration process is simple enough that anyone can enrol through the online website by following the steps below-
- Download the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission app from your mobile’s Google Play Store, or go to the National Health Authority.
- Click the “Register Now” button.
- Choose your language of preference.
- Sign up using your Aadhar or mobile number.
- Submit the OTP or One-Time Password that was sent to your mobile phone or registered email address.
- Fill in your personal information.
- Your health ID card is created after you submit your application.
- Create a password to access your Digital Health ID card in the future.
- Data Security: To ensure the security of your records, healthcare providers will only be able to access them if you show them your Health ID card. Because any information about an individual’s health can be sensitive, the Health Ministry ensures that the portal and application are secure to avoid any discrepancies.
- Privacy Maintenance: If you use your Aadhar Card to register for a Health ID card, all of your personal information, such as name, phone number, date of birth, and gender, will be recorded. Because it is linked to the AADHAR, the NHA will have access to this information. If you want to keep your information private, you can register with your mobile number while providing only the necessary information.
- Electronic Medical Reports (EMR): Individuals, doctors, and healthcare providers will be able to access Electronic Medical Reports. Various health systems can access Electronic Medical Reports via a Unified Health Interface.
- Control over the Card: At any time, individuals can deactivate, reactivate, or permanently delete their Health ID. If you deactivate your card, no healthcare providers will be able to access your medical information. All updated medical records, data, and history are erased if the card is deleted.
The ABHA (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) ID Card is a free card that aids in providing healthcare services. The ABHA app allows you to create your Abha ID card and make use of ABHA card benefits. The digital health ID card is an excellent government initiative to make healthcare accessible to everyone. Before you sign up for this interesting benefit, keep in mind the above key features of a digital health card that will be extremely useful in the long run.