With many new international schools in Singapore, it becomes difficult to choose whether to send your child to a local or international school. If parents opt for one of the new international schools, the next step is whether to choose globally recognized IB or selectively recognized IGCSE or CBSE. It is not that one is better than the other. It is more about finding the right fit for your child after evaluating the pros and cons of all the options available.
There are numerous reasons why parents choose an IB school in Singapore for their child. One of the main reasons is that an IB Curriculum is student-centered and revolves around the learner, adapting to their learning style. Knowledge in IB is derived through research, self-learning, and understanding a particular subject’s why’s and hows; this empowers students to unleash their reasoning and problem-solving skills effectively.
Benefits of getting admission into one of the new international schools in Singapore
Choice of curriculum
International schools have the flexibility and freedom to offer different curricula. It could be aligned with your home country or a globally accepted one like IB. IB is the most popular choice offered by multiple international schools owing to its global acceptance.
Better academic performance
Most of Singapore’s international schools perform better than the global averages for IB, A levels, and GCSEs. Over 80% of the schools in Singapore offering the IB Diploma Program are international, and Singapore’s average score of 34.52 was higher than the global average of 29.9 in 2020.
Varying Academic calendar
International schools have varying academic calendars that run in line with schools from that region. The academic year for some is from June/July to August/September per Northern Hemisphere schools. Then there are a handful of international schools starting from January to December following the calendar of Southern Hemisphere and Singapore’s government-run schools. Indian international schools run from April to March per the Indian academic calendar.
Technologically advanced digital classrooms
The future is digital, and in line with that, most international schools have futuristic campuses perfect for inculcating new-age skills and ensuring better engagement and learning. Digital classrooms are conducive to teaching and learning 21st-century skills, offer a better AV experience, digital lockers, Facial Recognition and CCTV systems for student attendance, green libraries, etc. New international schools in Singapore have excellent campuses with state-of-the-art facilities, large classrooms, extensive sports and arts facilities, and outdoor space.
Access to world languages
In international schools, the classes carries out in English, the language of instruction. However, there are numerous opportunities for students to study in their home language or at least learn it. International schools teach additional languages from as early as primary school. And offer many modern foreign languages to choose from through primary and secondary schools.
Global faculty and international student body
International schools admit students from numerous nationalities. Even the faculty recruits from countries across the globe, and you will see teachers from the UK, the US, and Australia.
High teacher-to-student ratio
Since students come from diverse backgrounds, each child has a unique and distinct learning style. International school classes have a maximum of 20 to 25 students per class, allowing more specialized attention and a higher degree of personalization.
Numerous new international schools in Singapore offer preschool education for children. As young as two months and up to five years of age. Children can take advantage of being part of a larger school environment with accessible opportunities offered by an all-through school. Other small nursery schools cannot provide these facilities.
Overall benefits of going to an IB international school in Singapore
- An IB school uses technologies such as Data Analytics to measure the students’ performances to enhance the learning environment and fasten the learning curve.
- IN International schools in Singapore have tie-ups with some of the top Ivy-League universities. IB diploma holders can transition smoothly into a leading professional university. By attending one of these schools’ career forums and placement drives.
- An IB international school offers a bilingual diploma to pupils who score grade 3 or above in two different languages.
- International schools have world-class teaching faculty. They maintain the same high standards in their pedagogy owing to their substantial experience in the IB curriculum. And suitable methods to impart it.
- These schools build robust and unique frameworks for encouraging the all-rounded development of students. They equally emphasize extracurricular and co-curricular activities for overall personality development and to refine their innate skills.
- They provide a multicultural environment that enables a child to become inclusive and tolerant and diversify their networks and experiences. The school fees of an international school in Singapore are lower than private schools in the US and UK. Last but not least, they don’t only offer state-of-the-art facilities across all elements of a school (academic, sports, art, skill development, etc.). But also provide a safe environment for the students to be creative, explore and thrive.